Thursday, March 25, 2010

QUOTES as EDITING BEGINS



-->Let the editing begin! We still have some filming to do in Canada & the United States, but editing has begun. (Don't forget funds are still needed to complete the film! You can help & DONATE!)

In Los Angeles, I am compiling notes and transcribing all the main interviews we conducted while filming in Europe. I thought I would pull some of my favorite quotes from the interviews to share. We did many, MANY interviews, but here are quotes from the ones I have transcribed to date. More to come!

ENJOY! Spread the word. Support the film.

TIM ROBERTS - Director at Circus Space in London & President of the European Federation of Professional Circus Schools (FEDEC)

“I was just reading something about people’s pre-occupation with falling and how it’s one of people’s greatest fears. In circus arts, we’ve turned falling into an art form….and it’s still speaking about something quite important of the human condition.”

“France recognizes a circus performer as an artist in society, as an actual profession. Where as, in English speaking countries I think it’s hard for them to accept that an artist is actually a job. How many times is an artist asked, “This must be really fun, what do you do for a living?” Well, we all accept the fact that movie actors do that for a living ….and if they didn’t do that it would be a very sad world indeed.”

“I think symbolically circus marginalized itself by setting itself in fields, outside of towns… I think if you’re not there in front of people’s noses, you’re just there for a week and you’re gone, just mud and holes left, then you say, why would a government recognize it as an art form if no one can actually put their finger on it.”

MARTIN LACEY JR. – Lion Act, England / Germany
“To do it properly, it’s a lot of hard work, because basically what you see in the show is about 10 minutes and outside it’s all day. You have to be there for the animals and to take care of them; they’re like family. It’s not a job, it’s a way of life.”

“I’ve learned a lot with the experience of the animals, and also with having young animals in the number, before I had all professional lions and now I have semi professional and professional. So, I have to really help them, I have to be there for them and give them confidence to do the act properly.”

“I’m not scared of the lions, I respect them, I know what they can do. I know they’re a perfect killing machine, I know they can break an antelope’s neck with one blow of their paw. So, I know I don’t have a chance with the lions, so I don’t really think like that when I walk into the cage.”

ROB TORRES – Clown, United States

“I’m going to do a whole lot of nothing and try to generate as much out of that as far as laughter and silliness goes…And just have fun, and forget what position or status we have and anything else that is going on in our lives outside that particular circus and that show.”

“For the most part in the US the term clown…it’s derogatory, if I’m a clown, then I work for birthday parties, doing this… It’s an easy job for people that have nothing else in America and its something that takes work and it is an art form here in Europe.”

"The first step is you’re willing to recognize that you think differently than I do, and you're willing to get over those things. Then, find a way to enjoy life together. We have these borders that we’ve created with countries, and the idea that it’s not possible to work together, and circus proves, no, it is possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment